CALENDAR OF EVENTS
MAIN GALLERY EXHIBIT
Salem High School IB Student Art Show
Through April 25, 2017
Salem High School International Baccalaureate art students return with their annual show. Showcasing work by senior International Baccalaureate Art students and senior Design students: Ellisa Ayers, Jennie Battaglia, Colton Brushwood, Brenna McIntosh, Madi Payne, Hadyn Perler, Kelly Richards, and Casey Sutphin.
WHITE OAK TEA TAVERN OPENS IN PRESTON PLACE
May 1, 2017: Ribbon-cutting at 9 am; open to the public 10 am to 5 pm
The White Oak Tea Tavern is a destination restaurant previously located in Troutville, Va., and well-known for its lunches, scones and bagels, gift shop and—most especially—its teas. The Tea Tavern is located in Salem at 1936 W. Main St. in Preston Place, the historic home owned and restored by the Salem Museum & Historical Society. Open Mondays–Saturdays, 10 am to 5 pm. 540-387-3000. [If you go on Opening Day, please carpool. We’re expecting a crowd!]
UPCOMING MAIN GALLERY EXHIBIT
Glenvar High School and Middle School Student Art Show
May 2 – 24, 2017. Reception May 2, 6 to 8 pm
Glenvar High School and Middle School art students return with their annual show.
SALEM MUSEUM SPEAKER SERIES
Blue Ridge PBS Documentary/Carol Jennings, Producer
Lakeside: 66 Years of Fun in the Sun
Monday May 15, at 7 pm
The sound of a roller coaster flying down the tracks, screams and squeals of delight, blinking lights, and cotton candy. Those are but a few of the things that immediately come to mind when thinking about a visit to Lakeside Amusement Park. It has been 30 years since Lakeside turned off the lights and closed the gates, yet many still remember their time there fondly. What began as a 2-million gallon pool in 1920s eventually became an amusement park with a variety of rides and games along with concerts from the likes of Conway Twitty, Rick Nelson and many more. Blue Ridge PBS’s newest documentary takes a look back at Lakeside Amusement Park through the years.
READ LOCAL: A CELEBRATION OF LOCAL AUTHORS
Saturday, May 20, 10 am to 3 pm
Local book authors will be signing and selling their books throughout the Museum’s galleries. About two dozen authors are expected with works in a wide range of genres, including fiction, nonfiction, children’s, young adult, as well as historical and Christian. Admission is free, and the first 250 guests will receive a free READ LOCAL book bag, compliments of R. M. Johnson & Sons. Proceeds from book sales benefit the writers; a portion will benefit the Salem Museum & Historical Society.
Authors on hand for this major book event will include Michael Abraham, Betsy Ashton, Frances Curtis Barnhart, Irene Chapman, Donna Conrad, Mary Dalton, Cathy Dudley, Dikkon Eberhart, Ted Edlich, Fred Eichelman, Mary Crockett Hill, Liz Long, Kegley Publications/Historical Society of Western Virginia, Linda Miller, Becky Mushko, Carolyn Roth, Neil Sagebiel, Peggy Shifflett, Dan Smith, Karen ReMine Throckmorton, and Peggy Wade. Additional authors will be posted as they are confirmed.
Several other local authors are unable to attend, but signed copies of their books are available in the Museum’s Gift Shop. Browse a selection of books by Cece Bell, Nelson Harris, John Hildebrand, Marian McConnell, Sharyn McCrumb, Robert Schultz, and more. The Gift Shop also features over a hundred titles on topics of local interest, including a number of sought-after books that are out of print. These include Charles Johnson’s book about his harrowing capture by the Shawnee Indians in 1790—the first book published in the Roanoke Valley—and Norwood C. Middleton’s definitive history of Salem, published in 1986.
Thanks to Joseph “Cody” Statler for designing our READ LOCAL logo.
GROUND FLOOR GALLERY EXHIBIT: ONGOING
At Home Along the Great Road: Old Castle and Preston Place
Generously sponsored by Salem VA Credit Union
Salem was settled in the 1700s and, by the time of its incorporation as a town in 1802, was a busy stop along the Great Road from Virginia through Tennessee to Kentucky. Davy Crockett, Louis Philippe (a future king of France), and Andrew Jackson were known to have traveled the route and patronized Salem’s inns and taverns. Two homes along the road—Old Castle and Preston Place—are featured in this look at life in the 1800s. The exhibit is curated by Alex Burke, the Museum’s assistant director. Mr. Burke was assisted by Cort Clark, an intern from Roanoke College.
About the Salem Museum & Historical Society
The Salem Museum & Historical Society is an independent nonprofit organization preserving and celebrating the history of Salem, Virginia, founded in 1802, and the surrounding areas.